Sunday 3 April 2016

March comes in like a lion...

Hey everyone!


Thank you for checking out our blog today! I hope everyone is OK, and that you all got through Storm Katie alright at the beginning of the week! I thought of the saying 'March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb' - not very true this year!

Crafting-wise I've been fairly busy at the beginning of the week but lots of other things are happening all the time so I never seem to get as much done as I'd like to!  I also came down with a cold virus on Friday so I'm coughing and sneezing my head off, and not really feeling like doing much crafting at the moment!

I wanted to share a blanket that I've made for my aunt and uncle's anniversary this year - I first made starburst squares last year when I crocheted a king-size blanket for my parents 30th anniversary in September. That was the biggest blanket I've ever made; I'm not sure if I could ever make one that huge again to be honest! It was a big commitment of working on it for at least 2-3 hours every single day for 2 months straight. I did really love the effect of the starburst squares that made up the central panel on that blanket though, so when I decided to make a throw for my aunt and uncle's anniversary this year (as I'd never yet crocheted a blanket for my aunt), I decided I would have another go at the starburst squares.

And here it is!



The colour scheme for this blanket was also found on Instagram, people said it reminded them of Black Forest Gateau!!  I showed it to my mum and asked her if she thought my aunt would like it, and Mum said that she really would as they were definitely my aunt's kind of colours.

I used a continuous joining method for this blanket - I love using continuous joining whenever I can, as you see the blanket growing before your eyes, and there are minimal ends to sew in later! Perfect!

For the border I did a simple picot edge, one of my favourite edgings when there's a lot going on in the blanket itself and you don't want anything too intricate for the border.

I used Stylecraft Special DK and a 4mm hook throughout. The shades I used were Cream, Parchment, Mocha, Pale Rose, Grape, Plum, and tone for the continuous join and border.

I'll actually be making another similar blanket as my first commission, it'll be like a smaller version of my parents' blanket - I've make sure to show you when it's finished!

Anyway, time for me to sign off now, my sister will be back next week. See you in a fortnight! :o)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blanket! Much success on your new blog!! Looking forward to following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Cheryl, that's really kind of you!! 😘 Xx

      Delete

Leave us a comment, we'd love to hear from you!